Thursday, August 22, 2013

put your feet where your mouth is


























For Republik Insula & Art Medium Store's Suara Indonesia Kini Art Exhibition, discussing the idea of victory and pride as Indonesians.

Opening tomorrow, August 23, 2013, 3 PM, at Alun Alun Grand Indonesia, exhibiting until September 9, 2013.

Put Your Feet Where Your Mouth Is

Of being proud to be Indonesian, maybe I should first truly understand what it means to be Indonesian. Is it to wear batik head to toe twenty-four seven. Is it to condemn any "western influence" when I'm sitting my ass in my blue jeans at McDonalds.

Of being proud to be Indonesian, maybe I should first truly understand what it means to be Bhinneka Tunggal Ika. Is it to offer tolerance as long as it's convenient for me. Is it to preach noble causes in public for the sake of some hot shot award shit.

Of being proud to be Indonesian, clearly I should first remember to look in the mirror, and put said feet into my own mouth, before shovelling it down to anyone's throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment